Over the first decade of its existence, what is now Plattsburgh First Assembly of God Church had five pastors helping to establish and encourage the growth of the little flock. With its inception in 1955, Pastor and Mrs. Carl Halverson held the first service with the church continuing under the leadership of Rev. and Mrs. John Resnick. They served until his death due to a car accident at the railroad crossing on Spellman Road in 1958. Rev. and Mrs. Lon Kitchell (1958-1963), Rev. and Mrs. Morris Williams (1963-1966), and Rev. and Mrs. Ronald Hale (1966-1970) ministered until January of 1970 when Pastor and Mrs. Michael San Soucie began serving as the senior pastor; where they are to this day.
The San Soucie's began by building an apartment behind the sanctuary where their family lived for eight years. Over the next few years they finished the basement, filled in the swamp area with dirt, built the A-frame, started the Christian Supply Center, paved the parking lots, and remodeled the sanctuary. Between 1974 and 1978, a building program was begun to create space for offices and the bookstore. Plans were made for another addition, and the San Soucies moved into their new home. First Assembly of God Church became incorporated in 1978. New Life Nursery was begun in 1980, and New Life Christian Academy in 1981. The expansion of the sanctuary (the overflow) was completed, and the congragation was reunited from two morning services into one. The parsonage was completed in 1987.
Throughout the 1990's, the church continued to minister to the community with evangelistic outreaches, choir presentations, revival meetings, conferences, Lay Leadership Institute, Christian Life Management, and Vacation Bible Schools. In 1995, the new fellowship hall under the sanctuary addition was completed in time for the 40th Anniversary Celebration. 1998 marked a year of change for the church, with Pastor Skip Trembly leaving after 17 years as associate pastor. Tony and J.C. Deobil came on board as administrative assistants and helped begin the Berean Study Center, as well as preparing the building and congregation for any projected problems yielding from Y2K.
The early years of the new century have been spent in ministry as well as updating and mintaining the building the Lord has so graciously provided. Just a few of the many events included Bill Gothard's Basic Life Principles Seminar, an interdenominational retreat, and Lost Lambs Crusades. In 2003, our first Berean University class graduated and the Deobil's moved to a new ministry in Florida. In the past years, the major projects has been the installation of a new roof over the entire building complex, and the enlargement and remodelling of the kitchen beneath the sanctuary.
In 2004, Pastor Jim and Jennifer Miller came on staff as Associate Pastor.
From the congregation of seven that began in 1955, the Lord has caused thousands to pass through the doors of First Assembly. Some were saved and continue to minister here, while many, many others have been sent forth to minister all over the world. Now we look back and celebrate what God has done, His faithfulness and provision over the years; and we look forward with expectation toward what He will yet do in our midst.